What connections did I make?
- An introductory call with Fran, a new director in NHS Digital’s Data Services area
- Peter joined the user-centred design team as associate delivery manager. I’m looking forward to having some help as a team to focus on our objectives and work in a more agile way
What feedback did I give?
- It’s not often that I make this point, but on one important service, I highlighted a risk of too many designers and not enough developers. Even the greatest user researchers and service designers will fail to make an impact if they don’t have a route to delivery
How did I uphold the NHS Constitution?
“The NHS is accountable to the public, communities and patients that it serves”
- Contributed to a response to a query from one of the organisations that is here to hold us to account
What did I do to understand the barriers to accessing our services?
- Got the go-ahead to recruit a contract service designer to help our team with – among other things – understanding barriers to access and wider equalities issues. When colleagues are back next week, we’ll move forward on finding the right person for this important role
How am I developing leaders and leadership?
- Welcomed a group of education and development professionals to the profession group that I look after. I’ve asked for expressions of interest in being practice lead for this new role, and look forward to working with them all
What leadership teamwork did I see?
- I got involved with a long-running piece of work in the primary care area. I’ve been impressed by the level of collaboration among the people I’m working with, and hope to find the same as we engage with the wider group of decision-makers and stakeholders in the coming weeks
What inspired me this week?
- Observing some user research for the service manual team (who also this week released a new version of the open source NHS.UK Frontend)
- Enjoyed listening to James Somauroo’s Health Tech Podcast conversation with Gyles Morrison
- Great to see a group of user-centred designers starting a community of practice for people working in the NHS at trust/local/regional level